Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fables: Legends in Exile, Bill Willingham

"WHO KILLED ROSE RED?- In Fabletown, where fairy tale legends live alongside regular New Yorkers, the question is all anyone can talk about. But only the Big Bad Wolf can actually solve the case - and, along with Rose's sister Snow White, keep the Fabletown community from coming apart at the seams. FABLES: LEGENDS IN EXILE collects the first five issues of writer and creator Bill Willingham's acclaimed new VERTIGO series (superbly illustrated by Lan Medina, Steve Leialoha, and Craig Hamilton), and includes a new FABLES short story written and illustrated by Willingham."










My first reread of the year, and a graphic novel that my girlfriend picked out to read herself, Fables is one of those books that I can go back to again and again.

Like many of the Graphic Novels I pick up I actually have lots of Fables already, saved as comics on my hard drive. I have a real desire to try and get physical copies of comic files I love. The main reason is that I enjoy comics (and books) more as a tangible presence. Reading a paperback comic is more enjoyable and readable than on a screen. It's also far easier to loan out, a vital part of being a comics evangelist!

But one of the most important reasons is that I want to support the writers that I like. In many cases I will pick up comics solely because the writer is someone I have enjoyed the work of in the past (Brian Wood is probably the perfect example of this). For most comics writers (and artists) wages are low and creator owned work is often one of the few ways that money can keep coming in. So where you find a work, or a team, that you love, support it!

Fables is a work that it's easy to love. Whilst these early issues show a lot of promise, it's in the development over years worth of stories that Fables shines. The plot is simple enough - the characters from fables, fairy tales and nursery rhymes have been forced out of the lands of fiction and are refugees living in hiding in New York. The first few storylines are in the style of a murder mystery, but it soon develops into a war, romance, spy, epic fantasy - basically any style of story imaginable!

Just great.

Also Try:
Neil Gaiman, American Gods
Alan Moore, League of Extraordinary Gentleman
Kim Newman, Anno Dracula

No comments:

Post a Comment